Ohio Turnpike Commission
When the Ohio Turnpike Commission planned to construct third lanes in each direction between Toledo and Youngstown, CT Consultants completed design plans for the addition of a third lane between Mileposts 91.21 and 92.79. This project included the widening and rehabilitation of the “Sandusky River Bridges,” the widening of twin bridges over State Route 53 (total length of 137 L.F. and 3 spans) and 1.57 miles of highway widening.
The SAN 0080K L&R Bridges are located at Milepost 92.3 on the Ohio Turnpike just east of Interchange 91 at State Route 53 in Sandusky County near Fremont, Ohio. The twin riveted steel girder structures were originally constructed over the Sandusky River in 1953, and their decks were replaced in 1984. At 915′-6″ c/c of abutment bearings, these bridges are the longest Ohio Turnpike mainline structures between the Cleveland/Akron bridges over the Cuyahoga River and the Toledo bridges over the Maumee River. The twin bridges over the Sandusky River have 9 spans. The superstructure and piers were removed and new continuous steel plat girders were constructed on new piers and widened abutments. Additionally, the reconstruction of these bridges afforded the opportunity to make numerous improvements to the safety, operation, and maintenance of the structures.